Evaluations Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of the most common questions:


Additional Associate Degrees

Additional Associate Degrees may be earned under the following conditions:

  1. Having received an A.A. or A.S. degree, a student may qualify for an A.A. or A.S. degree in other fields with the exception of the General Studies degree.

  2. Having received an A.A. or A.S. degree in University Studies a student is not eligible to receive an additional University Studies degree at Grossmont College.
  3. Having received a Bachelor's Degree or higher, a student may qualify for an A.A. or A.S. degree in other fields with the exception of the General Studies degree or the University Studies degree.

  4. Having met all general education requirements as specified in this catalog and completed a minimum of 12 units in the major at Grossmont College subsequent to the preceding degree(s).

Awarding of Degrees and Certificates

Degrees and certificates are awarded and posted to transcripts when grades are final, approximately one (1) month after the term ends. You will be notified by email.

Catalog Rights

For purposes of graduation from Grossmont College, a student who maintains continuous attendance in the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District may elect at the time they began their studies in the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District, or any catalog year thereafter. Catalog rights will start at the college where the student began and are maintained by attendance in either college. 


EXCEPTION: Students of the Allied Health and Nursing Division - catalog rights are based on entrance to that particular program.


Certificates of Achievement

A Certificate of Achievement may be awarded upon successful completion of a prescribed course of study.

To qualify for such a certificate, a student must:

  1. Complete all courses for a particular certificate which are listed in the Associate degree program section of this catalog.

  2. A "C" grade is required for all courses taken at Grossmont College or elsewhere, which are to be applied toward the certificate.

  3. Satisfactorily complete at least one required course at Grossmont College during the semester in which the certificate is earned. All courses taken for the certificate must be graded courses.

  4. File an application for the certificate of achievement in the Admissions and Records Office at the beginning of the semester in which the requirements will be completed. See calendar in the current catalog or class schedule for exact deadline.)

  5. Students may follow the catalog under which they enter, or any subsequent catalog, as long as they are in continuous attendance. A student not in continuous attendance must meet the certificate requirements listed in the catalog in effect at the time of readmission.

Commencement vs Graduation

Commencement - The ceremony held at the end of each Spring term to recognize degree and certificate achievement. All students who apply for graduation are eligible and encouraged to participate in the ceremony. Participation in the annual Commencement ceremony does not indicate the completion of your degree or certificate.


Graduation - The official awarding of a degree or certificate to a student's records after all degree requirements and proficiencies are met. Students must apply for graduation to earn their degree or certificate.


Continuous Attendance

Grossmont students are considered in continuous attendance for any semester in which they enroll in Cuyamaca College and/or Grossmont College and for the following semester. This allows a student to "stop out" for one semester and not enroll in classes and still maintain continuing student status and catalog rights in the district. Summer sessions are not included under this policy.


Graduation with Honors

Students who have earned a 3.5 or higher GPA on all degree applicable work attempted graduate with honors. Official transcripts from all colleges attended must be on file in the Admissions and Records Office. However, if you are below a 3.5 overall GPA and if no course work on a transcript from another college is used to meet any degree requirement, students may exclude that entire transcript from being used to compute their overall GPA for graduation. Students electing this option need to make this request at the time they file the Request for Associate Degree form. This option only applies to the GPA used to determine graduation with honors from Grossmont College and is not used to determine eligibility for honors for commencement. It will not affect transfer GPA and other colleges and universities may not calculate GPA for honors status the same way.

Mailing of Diplomas

Printed degrees/certificates will be mailed within the United States approximately three (3) to four (4) months after the semester ends. 


Please make sure your current address is on file. You must submit anAddress Change for Graduation Form to the Evaluations Office if you have a new mailing address. If you do not receive your diploma because of a bad address, the fee for a replacement is $15. 


Diplomas may be mailed internationally for a fee; please make arrangements in the Evaluations Office.