Associate Degrees and Certificates of Achievement

Grossmont College offers Associate in Arts/Science degrees,  Associate in Arts/Science degrees for Transfer (ADT), and Certificates of Achievement. 


It is the responsibility of the student who expects to graduate to have all college transcripts on file prior to filing a written application for graduation on a form provided by the Admissions and Records Office. The application should be filed prior to the deadline for the semester in which the student plans to complete requirements for a degree. (See calendar in front of catalog for exact deadlines.) A student not in continuous attendance at Grossmont College should be aware that he/she must meet degree requirements listed in the catalog in effect at the time of re-admission. The student may choose to meet requirements in a catalog published after his/her re-admission provided he/she remains in continuous attendance.


Additional Associate Degree(s)

Additional associate degrees may be earned under the following conditions:


  • Having received an A.A. or A.S. Degree, a student may qualify for an A.A or A.S. Degree in other fields with the exception of the General Studies Degree.
  • Having received an AA or AS degree in University Transfer Studies a student is not eligible to receive an additional University Studies degree at Grossmont College.
  • Having received a Bachelor’s Degree or higher, a student may qualify for an A.A. or A.S. Degree in other fields with the exception of the General Studies Degree or the University Studies Degree.
  • Having met all general education requirements as specified in this catalog and completed a minimum of 12 units in the major at Grossmont College subsequent to the preceding degree(s).


Multiple Majors

Multiple majors are different from additional associate degrees in that the student with a multiple major works simultaneously toward the completion of more than one major. An Associate in Science or Associate in Arts Degree with a multiple major can be earned by completion of all general education requirements plus the courses required for the majors as outlined in this catalog under Associate Degree Programs at Grossmont College. A General Studies Major cannot be included as part of the multiple major within the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District. Students are not eligible to receive multiple University Studies degrees.



Certificates of Achievement

A Certificate of Achievement may be awarded upon successful completion of a prescribed course of study in the following areas: Administration of Justice; American Sign Language; Arabic; Art: Photography; Business Administration; Business-General; Business Office Technology; Cardiovascular Technology; Telemetry/ECG; Chemistry; Child Development; Computer Science Information Systems; Culinary Arts; Dance; Disability Services Management; English; Exercise Science and Wellness; French; German; Hospitality and Tourism Management; International Business; Management; Marketing; Media Communications; Multimedia; Musical Theatre; Orthopedic Technology; Respiratory Therapy – Anesthesia Technology; Retail Management; Russian; Spanish; Theatre Arts and University Studies. To qualify for such a certificate, a student must:


  1. Complete all courses for a particular certificate which are listed in the Associate Degree program section of this catalog.
  2. A “C” grade is required for all courses taken at Grossmont College or elsewhere, which are to be applied toward the certificate.
  3. Satisfactorily complete at least one required course at Grossmont College during the semester in which the certificate is earned. All courses taken for the certificate must be graded courses (except for University Studies.)
  4. File an application for the certificate of achievement in the Admissions and Records Office at the beginning of the semester in which the requirements will be completed. (See calendar in front of this catalog for exact deadline.)
  5. Students may follow the catalog under which they enter, or any subsequent catalog, as long as they are in continuous attendance. A student not in continuous attendance must meet the certificate requirements listed in the catalog in effect at the time of readmission.




Related Resources

Apply for Admission

Graduation - Apply for Degree/Certificate