Winds and Deserts
Terms to learn:
desert exotic stream playa deflation
abrasion alluvial fan star barchan
transverse longitudinal parabolic desert pavement
- Distribution of deserts
- Characteristic of deserts
- Internal drainage
- exotic streams
- Aeolian (wind) processes
- sand dunes - shape
- Desert landscapes
- Basin and Range
- alluvial fan
- Mesa and Scarp
- plateau, mesa, butte, pinnacle
Interesting places to visit:
Good general info: http://www.ontheline.org.uk/explore/nature/deserts/deserts.htm
More general info: http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/deserts/
Virtual field trip: http://wdgdst68.dupage.k12.il.us/jefferson/projects/project2/project2.htm
When you are finished with this topic, you should be able to answer the following
- What are the methods by which wind erodes material?
- How do sand dunes migrate?
- How is desert pavement formed?
- What factors contribute to the shape and arrangement of sand dunes?
- What are some of the features that you would likely find in a Basin and Range desert
landscape? in a Mesa and Scarp landscape?