mechanical weathering erosion frost and salt wedging abrasion
chemical weathering exfoliation oxidation hydrolysis
carbonation sediments lithification detrital (clastic)
chemical shale sandstone
conglomerate breccia chert cross-bedding
ripple marks graded bedding mud cracks
Sedimentary structures: http://www.gpc.peachnet.edu/~pgore/geology/historical_lab/sedstructureslab.php
Photos of sedimentary structures: http://www.eos.duke.edu/ss/answers1.htm
1. On what basis are sedimentary rocks classified?
2. What does sorting and rounding indicate about the transportation of sediment and the energy of the depositional environment?
3. Which sedimentary structures can indicate direction of water flow?
4. How is graded bedding formed?
5. What is the difference between detrital and chemical sedimentary rocks?
6. What are the steps in lithification?
7. What depositional environments are indicated by conglomerates? By breccias?