Terms to learn:
continental crust core isostasy
oceanic crust lithosphere MOHO
asthenosphere geothermal gradient S-wave shadow zone
- Earth's internal structure
- Chemical division
- Physical division
- Earth's magnetism
- Magnetic reversals
- Internal heat and pressure
- geothermal gradient
Fun places to visit:
Earth's interior and plate tectonics: http://library.thinkquest.org/17457/platetectonics/1.php
Rock Doctor view of the earth's interior: http://www.cobweb.net/~bug2/rock7.htm
When you are finished with this topic, you should be able to answer these study questions:
- What are the internal layers of the earth?
- What causes the internal layered structure of the earth?
- What do seismic-wave shadow zones tell us about the earth's interior?
- What is the temperature distribution with depth in the earth?