Terms to learn:
compressional stress tensional stress shear stress elastic
plastic deformation brittle deformation anticline syncline
joint reverse fault
normal fault strike-slip fault
A. Tectonic forces
B. Behavior of rocks under stress
C. Types of geologic structures
- Normal fault (dip-slip)
- hanging wall
- Reverse fault (dip-slip)
- Strike-slip fault
- left and right lateral
Interesting places to visit:
Great basics on structural geology: http://earth.leeds.ac.uk/learnstructure/index.htm
Self quiz: http://www3.cerritos.edu/earth-science/tutor/Structural_Geology/geologic_structures_quiz1.htm
When you are finished with this topic, you should be able to answer the following
- What types of stress are associated with each of the three faults?
- Folds are formed by what type of deformation and stress?
- What is the difference between a joint and a fault?
- How do you distinguish between a right-lateral and left-lateral strike-slip fault?
- What type of fault would you expect to be predominant at each type of plate boundary?