Terms to learn:
continental drift hot spots mid-ocean
Pangaea subduction seafloor
Alfred Wegener divergent plate boundary transform plate boundary
convergent plate boundary
- Development of plate tectonic theory
- Continental drift – Alfred Wegener (1912)
- Seafloor spreading - Harry Hess (early 1960’s)
- sea floor age
- Plate tectonics
- Plate motion
- Plate boundaries
- Mantle plumes
- Hot spots
- plate movement
Fun places to visit:
The story of plate tectonics: http://pubs.usgs.gov/publications/text/dynamic.html
Animations of plate tectonic movement: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/geology/tectonics.html
When you are finished with this topic, you should be able to answer these study questions:
- What is the difference between the lithosphere and the asthenosphere?
- What are the differences between continental and oceanic lithosphere?
- What are the three types of plate boundaries and the movement associated with each?
- What type of plate boundary is found in California?
- Why is continental crust so much older than the ocean crust?
- Tectonically, how are the Hawaiian Islands different from the Aleutian Islands in
- What information can a hot spot provide regarding plate movement?