Earth-Sun Relationships & Incoming Solar Radiation
Terms to Learn are in BOLD in the outline below.
- Tilt of Earth's axis
- Summer solstice
- Winter solstice
- Energy from sun – electromagnetic waves
- Ultraviolet waves
- Visible light
- Short-wave radiation
Arrival of heat energy
- Greenhouse effect
Heating of Atmosphere
- Heat budget
When you are finished with this topic, you should be able to answer these questions:
- What is the difference between perihelion and aphelion?
- What time of the year is the earth closest to the sun?
- What causes the seasons on earth?
- What is insolation and into which category does most of the earth's incoming solar
- What happens to the heat/light energy as it enters the atmosphere?
- What is the "greenhouse effect"?