Incoming Transfer Students


Veterans and dependents, who have used their VA educational benefits at another institution.

  1. Apply to Grossmont College if you have never attended GC or have not attended for two consecutive semesters.
  2. Veterans: Turn in your DD214 to receive priority registration. Active Duty: Show or send copy of your military ID to building 10 Veteran Affairs Office (VAO) or
  3. Request all transcripts to be officially sent to Grossmont College, Admissions and Records Office. Electronic transcripts are preferred and can be sent to:
  4. If you have NOT completed an English/Math course at a college-level and your education goal is to complete an associate degree, you will need to complete the English/Math placement questionnaire "Step Two" on Self-Service in the Students Menu Under "Orientation/Placement/Advise"
  5. Make an appointment with a VA Counselor to request the official evaluation your non-Grossmont units and select classes for your first semester. Declaring a major is required to use VA education benefits.
  6. Register for courses using Self-Service
  7. Turn in certificate of eligibility (COE) to the VAO in building 10 or
  8. Complete a Veterans Intent Form at the VAO in building 10 or
  9. Fill out VA Form 22-1995 or 22-5495 Change of Place of Training in the VAO
  10. Once the Evaluation is complete, you will be notified to make an appointment with a VA Counselor to finish your educational plan, the list of classes you will need to complete to reach your education goal. 
    (Let the staff know that you are a Veteran)

General Information for All Veterans/Students:

Everyone receiving VA benefits is required, by the Veterans Administration, to maintain regular class attendance and satisfactory progress to comply with the Academic Policies section of the current Grossmont College Catalog. Students should refer to the "General Education" & "Degree Requirements" sections of the current catalog.

Counseling Center: For academic advising, changing majors / classes, make an appointment with a counselor every semester. (619) 644-7208


The Transfer Center is also available for information about the UC and CSU Public Institutions, as well as Independent Institutions. For more information refer to the "University Transfer Center" website at


VETERANS: Chapters 30, 31, 33, 1606 & 1607 receive FIRST DAY Priority Registration. This is about 9 weeks before the start of each semester. You are encouraged to plan accordingly to take advantage of this opportunity, then file your Intent form at the VAO. Call the VAO for questions about registration dates.


Military Credit: Submit your military transcript to the VAO for review of military service schools. You will need to fill out a request for military credit form. Credit may be granted in accord with recommendations by the ACE guidelines, up to a maximum of 20 units for work similar to Grossmont courses. Military Credit is not transferable and can be used toward major requirements, only with consent from the Department Chair and a Modification of Major form. You will be mailed documentation showing the results of the review.



  • Ch 33 recipients must provide a copy of their DD214 "Member 4" and their Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the VAO in order to be certified for benefits.

  • Ch 30 & 1607recipients must provide a copy of their DD214 -Member 4" to the VAO in order to be certified for benefits.

  • Chapter 1606- Reservists must submit a NOBE, Notice of Basic Eligibility

  • Chapter 35 Dependents must have their correct VA File #. These documents are kept in individual folders monitored by the VAO staff.


Advance Payment:

New or Returning Students (who have been out of school for over 30 days) may choose to receive Advanced Payment. This must be done no later than 30 days prior to the beginning date of the semester/term. Check with the Grossmont VAO for requirements, general questions and applicable dates to apply for Advance Pay. Please note that by receiving Advance Pay you will receive payment for the first partial month and the second month of the semester. The next payment will not be made until you certify at the end of the 3rd month of the semester. As of this time, Post 9/11, Ch 33 is not eligible for advance pay.


Concurrent Enrollment:

While receiving VA Educational Benefits, students may be concurrently enrolled at more than one school during the same semester. Whichever school the student is pursuing a degree from is considered the Parent School. The other school is considered the Secondary School. Grossmont Students must fill out a "Veterans Affairs Office Parent School letter" form at the VAO. If you are attending another institution and wish to receive benefits as a Guest Student for a course at Grossmont College, an authorization form/letter from the VAO at your Parent School is required. This form/letter states that the courses taken at the Secondary School will be credited toward the current major the student is pursuing. All -Guest Students" are responsible for contacting the Secondary School's Veterans Office to file required forms, the Parent School Course Approval Letter is usually mailed or faxed between colleges. The Secondary School will complete the certification for Guest Student benefits.


Monthly Verification Process:

Veteran students, who receive benefits under Chapters 30, 1606 and 1607, must verify their enrollment on or after the last day of each month. Veterans receive an award letter from the VA Regional Processing Center in Muskogee, OK, after certification of enrollment in authorized courses. Once this is received, the student can self-certify. To insure prompt payment of benefits you must remember to certify every month, even if your class(es) ended before the end of the month. The earliest that verification can be done is the last day of the month. Monthly verification (self-certification) can be done via one of the following two ways: 


Internet - WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment): Easiest and shows detailed information about YOUR benefits. Go To:

Telephone - Using Interactive Voice Response (IVR)


Failure to self-certify every month will lead to your benefits being delayed or suspended.

Please be aware that Federal holidays and filing your Intent Form late, may delay the initial Certification Process and thus, timely deposit of your benefits. You are encouraged to plan accordingly and keep at least a month's benefits in reserve at your financial institution to prevent problems, especially if your benefits provide the majority of your income.


Direct Deposit: 

Direct deposit of your monthly VA educational benefits payment is available for Chapter 30, 31, 33, 1606 and 1607 recipients. This option allows faster receipt of monthly benefits, and work study payments. It also decreases the chance of missing, lost or stolen checks. If you did not request direct deposit when you applied for benefits, you may initiate the process at any time by calling the VA at:


1-877-838-2778; Monday - Friday 5:30 AM to 2:50 PM - Pacific Time.


You need to provide your VA file number, 9 digit bank routing number, and checking or savings account number. To cancel or change direct deposit or home address, fill out Form 20-572 in the VAO. We will same-day-fax your request to the VA Regional Office in Muskogee, OK.


VA Work-Study Program:

This program is available to any student receiving VA education benefits who is attending school three-quarter time or more. A student working under this program may work at the school veterans' office, VA Regional Office, VA Medical Facilities, or at approved State employment offices. Work-study students are paid at either the state or Federal minimum wage, whichever is greater. If you have other questions on this program contact the VA toll-free number 1-888-442-4551, or the VAO on campus.
This is a tax-free employment program. The hourly rate, currently, is $11.00 an hour, as of January 2019. Students must be enrolled in and receiving educational benefits of at least 3/4 time, 9-11.5 units/semester. Contact the Grossmont VAO for summer term requirements.


For jobs at off-campus VA work study sites contact:

  • County of San Diego-Veterans Service Office:
    San Diego-619-531-4545
    Vista-760-643-2049 (ask for Mike).

  • San Diego VA Regional Office:
    619-400-5630 (Jesus Camacho).

  • VA Hospital, La Jolla:
    858-642-3432 (Jerry Mailhot).

    San Diego 619-294-2040 (Michael Groniga).
    San Marcos 760-744-6914 (Dane Galkey).


GI Bill Benefit Payment Rates:

Rates depend upon amount contributed and/or length of time in service (Number of months of contribution), as well as enrollment status. Inquire at the VAO/ or GI Bill website for current pay rates for each chapter.


Undergraduate Enrollment Status by Number of Credits


Full Time

3/4 Time

1/2 Time

Fall and Spring


9.0 - 11.5

6.0 - 8.5

Summer & Semester 8-week


4.0 - 5.5

3.0 - 3.5

Summer -- 6-week


3.0 - 3.5

2.0 -2.5

Summer -- 4-week


2.0 - 3.5


Spring intersession - 3 week






Standards of Progress:

Each student receiving VA education benefits through the VAO, must follow the college's standards, as stated in the Academic Policies section of the current college catalog, to be eligible for the VA Certification process. In addition, each student must read and sign the original copy of the Grossmont College Veterans Checklist in the VAO when applying for benefits. This acknowledges your agreement to follow VA rules and regulations, which the Certifying Official is responsible for administering. Students must also keep current and correct contact information on file in the VAO.


Tutorial Assistance Program:

If you are having difficulty in any of your classes, you should first talk to your professor. If the difficulty is more than that which can be addressed by Grossmont College tutoring, you could apply for this benefit. Through the VA, up to $1200 is available for Individualized Tutorial Assistance. You must be receiving VA education benefits at half-time rate or more. If you have a deficiency in a subject necessitating private tutoring, beyond Tutoring/Learning Assistance services available on campus, students can be reimbursed for payments to a qualified tutor. For questions regarding VA tutorial assistance, and to submit Form 22-1990, contact the VAO at Students will need to provide documentation from their instructor identifying their need for tutoring, the qualifications of, and fees paid to the tutor, to apply for reimbursement.



Related Resources

Posse Flyer