Pre-Professional Counseling in the Transfer Center


What is Pre-Professional Counseling?

 Our Transfer Center now offers this service to all currently attending Grossmont students. You can make an appointment in person or by calling 619-644-7150.


Pre-professional counseling is for students who, after graduating from a four-year college or university, want to complete a professional degree to prepare for a career in a specific field requiring education beyond the bachelor's degree. Professions requiring this advanced education and training include: law, medicine, dentistry, school teaching, social work, business, pharmacy, optometry, school counseling, clinical psychology, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, veterinary medicine, architecture, marriage and family therapy, physical therapy, public health, public policy, city planning, environmental management, forensic sciences, and many other professions.



Who provides pre-professional counseling if I am interested in any of those fields?

 Sue McPhatter, Ed.D., works part-time in the Grossmont Transfer Center.  Sue comes to Grossmont with twenty-five years of experience at UC, San Diego and over nine years of experience counseling Transfer Students at Grossmont College. For twenty-three years, Sue worked in UCSD's Career Services Center as a Pre-Professional and Pre-Graduate Advisor. She counseled undergraduates on preparation for and admission to medical, other health professions, law, business, all other professional school programs, as well as all academic master's and doctoral programs. Sue's extensive contact with and knowledge of the many types of programs is a great asset for our students at Grossmont College.



What will the counselor help me with?

 Sue McPhatter can explore with you which professions require advanced education beyond the bachelor's degree. Also, Sue can help you with your decision to pursue one of the professions mentioned above, and others, as well as tell you which courses you can take here at Grossmont College to prepare for your profession of choice before you transfer to a four-year college or university. For example, medical schools require applicants to complete specific lower-division science and math courses, regardless of your college major; however, law schools have few or no specific course requirements.


Sue can help you fit any required pre-professional courses, general education transfer courses, and major pre-requisite courses into your schedule of classes here at Grossmont. If you have attended any other colleges, other than Grossmont and Cuyamaca (and have not had those college transcripts reviewed by Grossmont evaluators), remember to bring to your appointment those colleges' transcripts (or unofficial list of courses) so that Sue can assess which of all your college courses will satisfy pre-professional school requirements.



What is the difference between graduate school and professional school?

 Graduate school can be viewed two ways. The general term "graduate school" refers to any and all schooling after the bachelor's degree (e.g., asking your friend if she will be "going to graduate school"). Or it can refer only to graduate programs in academic subject areas that focus mainly on course work, theory and research, but not professional practice. Examples of graduate programs include Master's and Ph.D. programs in history, biology, geology and literature.  Graduate school of this type typically prepares students to become experts and scholars in one academic area, then leading to jobs teaching at the college and university level. In the sciences and engineering, grad school prepares students for jobs in private industry, college teaching, the government or other research settings.



Pre-Professional and Pre-Graduate Resources

Visit these Internet links for information on common graduate and professional degree programs, including undergraduate coursework that pre-professional students should take before their four-year college or university graduation.  For most of these professions, many of the course pre-requisites can be completed here at Grossmont.


Discipline Areas:

Medicine (M.D.)

Social Work (M.S.W.)

Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.)

Counseling (M.S., M.A., M.Ed.)

Podiatry (D.P.M.)

Psychology (M.S., Ph.D., Psy.D.)

Dentistry (D.D.S.)

Marriage/Family Therapy (M.F.T.)

Pharmacy (Pharm.D.)

Law (J.D.)

Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.)

Business (M.B.A.)

Optometry (O.D.)

International Affairs (M.I.A.)

Physical Therapy (D.P.T.)

Public Policy (M.P.P.)

Physician Assistant (P.A.)

Teaching (credentials)

Nurse Practitioner (N.P.)

Architecture, the Arts, Journalism, Drama,  Theology, Music

Graduate School Information Links

Health Profession Links

International Experience Links

Majors, Careers, Jobs and Internships



Resources Developed for Grossmont Students


Other Helpful Resources

  • "What Can I Do With a Major In...?"
  • Occupational Outlook Handbook
  • Health Beat is a centralized pre-health advising service at UCSD that helps students explore, prepare, and apply to medical schools or any other health professional school.  Get information in advance of transfer with regard to a timeline, pre-reqs courses, preparing for the necessary standardzed exams, securing letters of evaluation, and getting clinical, service, and leadersip experience to be successful applicants!
    • Start here for information on the various health professions including program admission information.
    • Click here for information on pre-health transfers.
    • Click here for upcoming events.




UCLA MEDPEP Pre-Health Conference

Saturday, November 21, 2020, 9am-3pm.

Click here for details and registration.