The following are questions commonly asked by college students.


Counseling General Questions


1. Where is the Counseling Center located?

A. We are located in Building 10 - Student Services & Administration Building


2. How do I see a counselor?

A. Please see In-Person Services and Virtual Services


3. How do I clear prerequisites?

A. Please see Prerequisite Clearance Information


4. How do I get my transcripts from other colleges/universities evaluated?

A. All official transcripts from the other colleges/universitities you have attended must be on file and you must be a currently enrolled student for Grossmont College to evaluate your transcripts. Please send official transcripts from all colleges/universities you have attended to Admissions and Records. Once the transcripts have been received, please meet with a counselor on a Mini Session to make an Evaluation Request.



Counseling Academic Questions

How many units should I enroll in?

It depends on your unique situation. Students who are employed fulltime (40 or more hours per week) should limit themselves to no more than 6 units. If you are employed no more than 20 hours per week, you may sign up for 12 or more units provided that you don't have additional time commitments (e.g. child, spouse, outside activities). If you are not employed, fulltime coursework (12-18 units) may be appropriate. However, if you have never attended college or are a returning student, then you should ease your way into the school routine by taking 6-9 units per semester.


The following chart is a valuable tool for students to estimate the amount of time needed to support a quality learning experience:


Work (Hr/Wk) Recommended Units per Semester Estimated Study Time Total Hours per Week
40 6 12 58
30 9 18 57
20 12 24 56
10 15 30 55
0 18 36 54


If I am having difficulty in class, what should I do?

  • Talk to your instructor (remember, instructors have time set aside to meet with students outside of the classroom).
  • Utilize the study labs and the Tutoring Center in the Learning Resource Center.
  • See a counselor to discuss other options available to you (setting up a study group, developing an educational plan, etc.)

Do I need to have a major?

Not right away. Taking general education courses gives you an opportunity to explore your interests before choosing a major. By your second or third semester you should have narrowed down the majors that interest you.


Utilize the Counseling and Transfer Centers to read about Major requirements at the transfer institutions that you are considering attending. There are also books available in the Transfer Center that rank majors nationwide and describe 150 of the most popular majors.

Visit the College Success Profile for more information on choosing a major.

Do I need a degree to transfer?

Although it is not necessary to obtain an Associate degree to transfer, the Counseling Department highly recommends it. By taking two Exercise Science and Wellness courses in addition to your transfer requirements, you may earn a college degree. A counselor will assist you in accomplishing your short and long term educational goals.

Check out the graduation checklist for more information.

Should I take all general education classes first?

If your English assessment level is English 098/098R or below, we recommend that you concentrate on improving your college-level reading and writing skills. Taking an English course your first semester is a good idea no matter where you assessed. If you placed at English 110 or above, you should consider taking general education courses that interest you and/or courses that are related to your major. For example, if you are a math or science major it is essential that you begin the math sequence as soon as possible. Taking an elective course that you enjoy (guitar, acting, dance, or computers) is a good idea because it makes your college experience more rewarding.

What does it mean to crash a class?

When you want to register for a course that is closed you can put your name on the Wait List. Attend the first class meeting and request that the instructor give you an "add code" to officially enroll. For online classes, email the instructor to request an "add code". 

How can I figure out how long I'll be at Grossmont?

Make an appointment with a counselor. He or she can help you prepare a Comprehensive Educational Plan so that you may achieve your goals in accordance with your available time. Some students will take longer than others depending on individual situations.

What is a full-time or part-time student?

Number of Units Enrollment Status
12+ Full time
9-11.5 3/4 time
6-8.5 Half-time
5.5 or less Part-time

What is a unit?

A unit is a measurement of college work which reflects the amount of credit given to a course. You can generally count on one hour of class time weekly for each unit a course is assigned.

What is an AA or an AS Degree?

An Associate in Arts (AA) or Associates in Science (AS) Degree is awarded by a community college upon completion of an organized sixty unit program of study.

What is a BA or BS Degree?

A Bachelor's of Arts (BA) or Bachelor's of Science (BS) is a degree awarded by a four-year college or university after the completion of an organized program of studies consisting of approximately 124 semester units.

What is a Certificate Program?

A certificate program is an occupational program that offers career training and courses in a selected career area, for example, Culinary Arts - Baking and Pastry.

What is General Education?

General Education refers to a broad range of courses taken to increase a student's knowledge of a variety of subjects. They are courses outside your major and are required of all students receiving an AA/AS or BA/BS degree.
These courses are listed in the Grossmont College catalog.

What is a major?

A major is a group or series of courses designed to provide intensive education or training in a specialized area. You may have a major in both an AA/AS and Bachelor's Degree program.

What is a prerequisite?

A prerequisite is a requirement that must be met prior to enrolling in a particular course - usually an entrance test or completion of a preparatory course.

What is a semester?

A semester is an 16-week session - half of the academic year.

What is lower-division?

Lower-division refers to students and courses at the freshman and sophomore level of college study. Community colleges offer only lower-division courses.

What is upper-division?

Upper-division refers to students or courses at the junior or senior level of college study.

What is a transferable course?

A transferable course is a course at Grossmont College that is accepted by a four-year college or university.

What is a transfer major?

A transfer major is intended primarily for students planning to transfer to a four-year school where the major will be completed.

What is the CSU system?

The CSU System stands for the California State University System. It includes 23 campuses which accept the top 1/3 of high school graduates. Two local examples are SDSU and CSU San Marcos.

What is the UC system?

The UC System stands for the University of California System. The UC System includes 10 campuses and accepts the top 12.5 percent of high school graduates. UCSD is the closest campus to Grossmont College.