Application Procedures



If you wish to apply for financial aid, you must complete the following steps. Students must reapply for financial aid each year. Awards are not automatically renewable.


STEP 1: October

  1. Apply for admission to the college.

  2. Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a CA Dream Act application (if you are a Dreamer).  Please be sure to list all appropriate colleges with correct addresses (no abbreviations). Grossmont College's Title IV school code is 001208. Do not submit your FAFSA for the next award year prior to October 1st. Read the instructions carefully. Accuracy is very important. The FAFSA must be filed annually.

    Both applications provide information needed by the processor to evaluate you and/or your parents' ability to contribute toward your educational expenses. Students are required to apply for all available state and federal aid each year.

    Download the Direct Loan Request Packet

  3. Submit official academic transcripts from all colleges, universities or vocational schools that you have attended to the Admissions Office.

  4. Complete a petition if: a) you have or will complete 71 or more units or if you will or have attempted 90 or more units by August of the academic year for which you are applying; b) you have not completed or passed all the courses you have attempted while at Grossmont College; c) you have a G.P.A. below 2.0; or d) you have more than 19 units deficient.

  5. Complete the Verification process.

    Approximately, one out of three students who apply for financial aid are selected by the federal government for verification. If you are selected for verification, there will be a special message on your Student Aid Report. You may download the Verification Worksheet from our website or pick one up in the Financial Aid Office. Complete this form and turn it in to the Financial Aid Office.

    Independent students have the option to either submit an original IRS Tax Transcript to the Financial Aid Office or to submit signed copies of their federal tax forms. Dependent students must either turn in an original of their parent(s) Federal IRS Tax Transcript or submit signed copies of the student’s and the parent’s federal tax forms to the Financial Aid Office. If you or your parents filed a joint tax return or if you did not file a tax return at all, you must submit copies of your W-2 forms. After you submit all the required forms to the Financial Aid Office, they will be reviewed for accuracy. If corrections are required on the SAR, the Financial Aid Office will submit them directly to the central processor.

  6. If you are enrolled in or will be enrolled in ESL courses, you must take the CELSA exam in the Assessment Center. You must also have an educational plan completed and submitted to the Financial Aid Office.

  7. Complete and submit all requested supplemental documentation to the Financial Aid Office.

  8. For Cal Grant applicants, complete and mail the FAFSA and GPA verification form by March 2. The GPA Verification form is available from the Financial Aid Office or from your local high school counselor. Students who have completed at least 16 degree applicable units as of the end of the prior Fall semester will have their GPA submitted electronically by Grossmont College. All other students will be required to have their high school GPA's submitted by their high school.

STEP 2: March through June

When all required documents have been received by the Financial Aid office, your application will be reviewed on a "first completed-first considered" basis. A financial aid advisor may request further information if needed to determine your financial aid eligibility. Awards will be calculated subject to your eligibility and the availability of federal and state funds.


STEP 3: July

If you are determined eligible for financial aid, you will receive a Financial Aid Award and Acceptance Letter that is an offer of aid. Read your Award Letter and the accompanying instructions very carefully. They will explain your rights and responsibilities regarding the offer of financial aid. If you have been offered grants, scholarships, federal work-study or loans, there will be instructions that will explain how and when financial aid funds will be disbursed, so please read your award letter materials carefully. If you are not eligible, you will receive a letter stating that you are not eligible.



Grossmont College is committed to protecting and maintaining the confidentiality of student personal information and records as required by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). FERPA requires that student personal information such as social security numbers, birthdates, and financial and academic records may not be disclosed to anyone other than the student without the student's expressed written permission.



To assist the college in protecting the student's right to confidentiality we adhere to the following guidelines:


Requests Made In Person

Students will be asked for photo identification when requesting information from student records. Appropriate photo identification includes Grossmont College Student I.D., State Driver's License or I.D. card, Military I.D., High School I.D. card, passport or government issued I.D. card.


Requests Made Via the Phone or the Internet

If a student needs specific information about their Financial Aid application or award, they should log into the secure Financial Aid web pages via Self-Service. Only general information will be given over the phone.  This is done for the protection of student Personally Identifiable Information (PII).  Exceptions to these procedures may be made on a case-by-case basis and requests can be made in writing by e-mailing the Financial Aid Supervisor.