General Eligibility Requirements


In general, you are eligible for FEDERAL Aid at Grossmont College if you:



Apply for admission to Grossmont College;

  • Are a citizen of the U.S., a permanent resident, or a resident alien with an appropriate visa;
  • Have not exceeded the undergraduate borrowing limits for subsidized and unsubsidized loans;
  • Demonstrate eligibility in accordance with federal and state regulations;
  • Declare and enroll in a degree, certificate or transfer program;
  • Have a declared major;


Eligibility for Non-Citizens

The Department of Education will compare the information listed on the your application (the FAFSA) with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) data base [formerly U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)]. This primary match will attempt to confirm eligibility to receive Federal Financial Aid. For applicants whose eligible non-citizen status was not confirmed by the Department of Education's primary match, secondary confirmation must be used to determine eligibility.  Applicants may be required submit immigration documents to the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office will submit the student's immigration documents to the DHS within 15 business days and will request confirmation of eligible non-citizen status.


California Dream Act

AB540 eligible students may submit a California Dream Act application to see if they may be eligible for state financial aid or scholarships. Your application will be processed by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC).


Ability to Benefit

Students enrolling for the first time after July 1, 2012 must have a High School Diploma, GED or state recognized equivalent to be eligible for federal financial aid. New students will no longer have the option to pass an Ability to Benefit (ATB) test or to successfully complete 6 degree applicable units to gain eligibility for federal financial aid. A student who does not possess a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent, but who was enrolled in an eligible program any time prior to July 1, 2012, may be eligible to receive federal student aid under the prior ATB provision. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you think you were enrolled in an approved post-secondary educational program prior to July 1, 2012 and need to satisfy an ATB requirement. Please be advised that Grossmont and Cuyamaca Colleges WILL NOT accept ATB examination scores from other colleges.


Information on obtaining a GED can be found at the Grossmont Adult School website



Aid to Foreign Students

Although we recognize the enormous need of foreign students, Grossmont College is not able to assist any foreign students with federal or state aid. However, you are encouraged to apply for Scholarships by visiting our scholarships  page. To be eligible for federal or state aid, a student must be a citizen of the U.S., a permanent resident, or a resident alien with the appropriate visa.