The State of California has passed a new law (AB705) which provides students access to complete transfer level courses in English and math in one year. High school GPA will be the primary factor in determining placement.


Please access the online guided self-placement questionnaire by following the directions listed below:

  • Log into WebAdvisor
  • Click the "Students" tab
  • Under Orientation/Assess/Advising, Click "Step 2-Assessment/Placement Questionnaire"
  • Fill out the form and click submit
  • Review your recommended placement

The questionnaire will help you determine your English, Math or ESL placement.

If you place into ESL, you will be asked to take the ESL guided self-placement. It is your right to take transfer-level English classes or ESL classes if English is not your first or native language. If the ESL guided self-placement is needed, proceed to your WebAdvisor account to complete it.



How to answer the GPA question:

You will find it easier to answer this question if you have a copy of your high school transcripts. If you do not have access to a copy of your high school transcripts that is okay, this answer does not have to be specific. Knowing the range for your GPA is all that is needed to answer this question.

Did you attend high school in a different country?

Email the Assessment Center at for help converting  your GPA into the range needed for this questions. 

How to answer the highest completed Math course question:

Highest completed math course is one that you have received a C or higher in. Courses that you received a non passing grade should not be included. This may not be your last attempted math course.


Don't see your course on the list? Email the Assessment Center at for help.


How to answer prospective major question:

Math courses are determined by major groupings. It helps determine which level of math is required to meet the requirements in that field. 


If you do not see your exact major, that is okay, you can select an area related to that major. For example, if you are wanting to major in management you would want to select Business. The major groupings are broken down like this:

Business (includes Marketing, Finance, Accounting, Economics)
Engineering/Math/Computer Science/Science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Pre-Med, )
Teaching (Elementary Education)
Social Science/Allied Health (Nursing, Social Work, Administration of Justice, Psychology, Sociology)
Arts & Humanities (History, English, Literature, Languages, Philosophy, Communication, etc)
I am thinking of something else


If you are undecided, changed your major or accidentally picked the wrong one, no worries!Talk with a Counselor to help choose the right course for your goals. 


Don't think you were placed into the right class?

If you would like to challenge your placement level after you have completed the placement questionnaire, please contact the Department Chair of either Math, English or ESL. You may also email the Assessment Center at for more information.



If you have successfully completed an AP or IB exam, you are still encouraged to complete the Placement Questionnaire. You will likely be placed in the appropriate courses for this level.


If that is not the case, please submit a Prerequisite Clearance Online Form with a copy of your score report for consideration. If an AP exam has been passed with a score of 3 or higher in the following classes: English Language and Composition, English Literature and Composition, Calculus AB or BC, or Statistics, students can submit the appropriate documentation through the Prerequisite Clearance Online Form for possible English or math placement.

If you have English or Math credits from another College, you are still encouraged to complete the Placement Questionnaire.


Though you may have taken coursework elsewhere, you could potentially place higher than at your previous institution. If that is not the case, please submit the appropriate documentation through the Prerequisite Clearance Online Form for possible English and math placement.


* Official transcripts from other colleges and universities must be submitted to Admissions and Records at Grossmont College.

For any questions or concerns, please email and we will respond within 24 hours.