Cadence Vocal Jazz Ensemble
CADENCE is Grossmont College’s Vocal Jazz ensemble that focuses on learning ensemble repertoire and performance skills. Consisting of 7-12 auditioned singers and a 3-piece band, the ensemble performs standard and contemporary jazz repertoire. Basic musical concepts of improvisation, solo, and larger ensemble performance are incorporated into this course offering. As part of the performing and rehearsal environment, Cadence regularly works with its own jazz instrumental combo, providing ensemble, combo, and soloist opportunities for ensemble members.
Public performance is required. Performing 2-3 times a semester, past venues include the CMEA Festival, Oceanside Jazz Festival, PLNU Vocal Jazz Festival, and Dizzys Jazz Club.
All interested students should be present at the beginning for a short informational meeting, which will be followed by individual auditions and interviews.
Audition dates and times are as follows...
Music Director: Melonie Grinnell: firstname.lastname@example.org
Date: Tues, August 22, 5pm-645pm in room 26-221
Please contact Melonie Grinnell to confirm a specific audition time.
Vocalists: Perform a piece that optimally showcases your voice; preferably in a popular/contemporary
style. Can perform acappella, with backing track, or piano accompanist provided
(bring sheet music or chord chart).
Rhythm section: Ensemble uses rhythm section to perform (piano, guitar, bass, drums). Please contact director via email to set separate audition.
• Vocalists: bring a solo piece to sing (preferably jazz, but it can be anything non-classical). Your audition will be accompanied on piano (a cappella singing is not permitted).
• Instrumentalists: (Rhythm section – piano/guitar/bass/drums) bring a jazz standard of your choice to play. It is preferred that you are able to play the melody, ‘comp’ changes, and take a short solo. Please contact the director for an audition.
For more info, please feel free to contact Melonie Grinnell, director at email@example.com or the music dept. at (619) 644-7254.
Please check out our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/vocaljazzgrossmontcollege/
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Why can’t I register for the class yet?
There is no pre-registration for the class, permission numbers will be only given out to students who complete the audition and are invited to become members of the Cadence Vocal Jazz Program.
Do I have to sing or play in front of other people?
The first round of auditions and interviews will not be held in front of other students, just with the director. Auditions will be videotaped for director reference only. Bring something to sing or play and the director will accompany you on piano. If you are invited to the callback, that process will take place with other students participating.
When will the callback list be posted?
The callback list will be determined by Wednesday at noon, after all first round auditions have been completed. If your name is on the list, you will be given a short excerpt of vocal jazz ensemble music to learn for Thursday’s callback. The callback list will be emailed, and also on the board outside of Rm. 223 and 230H (Music Building). All callback vocalists should be present Thursday at 5:30PM. Final audition results will be posted and permission numbers to register will be distributed no earlier than the first Friday of classes.
What can I do to prepare myself for my audition?
- Make sure you have checked out the Audition Information.
- LISTEN to as much jazz as you can - both instrumental and vocal. Check out jazzandblues.org for a free jazz radio station online, or the KSDS app.
- Select an audition song from jazzstandards.com and obtain the sheet music.
- Consider downloading the iRealb app to practice with automatic accompaniment.
We are very much looking forward to your audition - good luck!
Sample of previously performed events...
- February - quad performances on campus for Black History Month (Spring 2017)
- PLNU Vocal Jazz Festival (~Mar 18) (Spring 2017)
- 11th Annual Oceanside Vocal Jazz Festival (Apr 7-8) (Spring 2017)
- Spring Vocal Jazz Concert (~May 7) (Spring 2017)
- TBA Collaborations w/ Grossmont College Jazz Ensemble