Understanding Grants


Expand All | Collapse All


Content 1 Here


Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is available for undergraduate study until you have received the equivalent of twelve full-time semesters of Pell Grant. The 12 semester (or 600%) limit pertains to any Pell received in the lifetime of the student. Federal Pell Grants generally range from $600 to $6,095 per academic year depending upon your "EFC" (Expected Family Contribution) as determined by the federal government; your cost of attendance; and your enrollment status.

Within two to three weeks after submitting your application you should receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Federal Pell Grant processing center. This form allows us to determine the amount of your award and authorizes us to disburse your Federal Pell Grant after you enroll. The deadline to submit a 2020-2021 FAFSA to the federal processor is June 30, 2021.


The deadline to complete your file with the Grossmont College Financial Aid Office is generally within 5 business days after the last day of your enrollment for a particular term. For Fall 2018 this deadline is January 3, 2019; for Spring 2019 this deadline is June 11, 2019. The deadline for Summer 2019 is August 16, 2019. If you miss any of these deadlines, please contact the Financial Aid Office directly.



Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

SEOG is a federal grant program for undergraduate students who have "exceptional need," and have not received a bachelor's degree. Generally, the maximum SEOG award at Grossmont College will be $1000 per academic year. First priority will be given to students enrolled full-time who receive a Federal Pell Grant and demonstrate exceptional need.


Content 3 Here














Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)

EOPS is a state funded program designed primarily for the orientation, recruitment and retention of California residents who are considered educationally disadvantaged (as determined by EOPS), have not completed more than 70 units of degree applicable coursework, are enrolled full-time and qualify for the Board of Governor's Grant, method A or B. Students may be offered grants, book vouchers or work study through the EOPS program.



Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE)

CARE is a state funded program designed to recruit and assist single parent recipients of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF/formerly known as AFDC) who would like to attend college. CARE provides support services and/or grant funds to enable academic success and to assist students in attaining their career and vocational goals.



New Horizons Single Parent Program

New Horizons is a special project funded by the Carl D. Perkins Vocational Applied Technology Education Act. The program is designed to recruit, orient and assist single parents with the development of potential ability through academic support and financial assistance. New Horizons assists single parents enrolled in a minimum of six units who demonstrate financial need and who are enrolled or intend to enroll in a vocational education class.


Cal Grant B

Cal Grant B is a grant administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). It provides a living allowance for low-income students. The living allowance ranges from $300 to $1,672. This grant is for California residents only. To apply for this program, submit a FAFSA and a GPA Verification Form postmarked by March 2nd.


Cal Grant C

Cal Grant C is a grant administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) and is for vocational students from low and middle-income families. The maximum award is $1,094. This grant is for California residents only. To qualify, you must be enrolled in an approved vocational course of study from four months to two years in length. Cal Grant C's are awarded for the length of the vocational course. To apply for the program, submit a FAFSA and a GPA Verification Form postmarked by March 2nd.



Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG)

The SSCG grant is a state program administered by the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office (CCCCO) and awarded by the college. The program is designed to encourage full-time enrollment, quicker achievement of the student's educational goal and is a supplement to Cal Grant B and C recipients.  SSCG awards are made on a first-come-first-serve basis and students must be full-time as of Census Day for each Fall or Spring term to receive the grant.  The award amounts are tiered and are based as follows:

  • A maximum of $1,298 annually (or a maximum of $649 per term) for eligible students who are enrolled between 12 and 14.99 units each term.
  • A maximum of $4,000 annually (or a maximum of $2,000 per term) for eligible students who are enrolled in 15 or more units each term.

Bureau of Indian Affairs Grants (BIA)

BIA Grants provide money to help meet the cost of education for Native American students. The amount of the grant varies according to individual agencies of the BIA. You may apply if you are at least one-quarter American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut, as certified by the BIA and/or tribal group serviced by the BIA; have financial aid eligibility and scholastic ability; are working toward an undergraduate degree; and have completed all of the application requirements. To apply, contact the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs regional offices or write to the Bureau's Office of Indian Education, 2800 Cottage Way, Sacramento, CA 95825, phone (916) 978-6057; or contact the San Diego Indian Human Resource Center, Inc., 4265 Fairmont Avenue, Suite 140, San Diego, CA 92105, Phone (619) 281-5964. The agency will provide you with their specific BIA Grant application. Complete appropriate items and send it to the Financial Aid Office. A FAFSA must also be completed. Watch for deadlines - each agency establishes its own deadline.


California Promise Grant (formerly known as the BOG Fee Waiver)

This program waives the enrollment fee (and possibly the health fee) for residents of California and students eligible under the provisions of the California Dream Act (effective January 1, 2013) who have financial need. Students are automatically considered for the fee waiver as part of the financial aid application process by completing the FAFSA or CA Dream Act application or by completing the on-line California Promise Grant fee waiver application here.


Eligibility Criteria:

  • Receive TANF/CalWorks, SSI/SSP, or General Assistance.
  • Have a low family income.
  • Are a verified Homeless student.
  • A dependent of a deceased or disabled veteran who is eligible for benefits under the California Veterans Dependents Educational Assistance Program.
  • A recipient, or child of a recipient, of the Congressional Medal of Honor (CMH).
  • A dependent of a victim of the 9.11.01 terrorist attack.
  • A dependent of a deceased law enforcement/fire suppression personnel killed in the line of duty.

Once qualified, enrollment fees will be waived for the rest of the school year, including the trailing summer, whether a student is taking one class or a full-time load.  More detailed information is available on-line here. The deadline to receive a refund of registration fees is the last day of each semester. The fee waiver will not be applied retroactively to a prior semester for mandatory fees.


Chafee Grant

The Chafee Grant Program gives up to $5,000 annually to current or former foster youth enrolled at least half time. To apply, a student must complete a FAFSA and the California Chafee Grant Program Application. The student must be eligible, or have been eligible for foster care between the 16th and 18th birthday, and not have reached the 22nd birthday as of July 1st of the award year. Students must be making satisfactory progress per the institutions Title IV guidelines.



Child Development Grant

The Child Development Grant program is administrated by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). The program is designed for students who are attending a California Community College or four-year institution and pursuing a Child Development permit to teach or supervise in licensed children's centers. Selected recipients attending a California Community College are eligible to receive up to $1,000 each academic year. Prior to receiving an award payment, you must sign a service commitment Agreement to provide one full year of service in a licensed children's center for every year you receive the grant.


California National Guard Education Assistance Program (CNGEAAP)

If you are an active member in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia you may be eligible for this state-funded program.


To qualify, you must:

  • Be an active member who has served two (2) years in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia;

  • Agree to remain an active member throughout the participation period in the program;

  • Agree to use the award to obtain a certificate, degree, or diploma that you currently do not possess;

  • Be enrolled in, registered at, or accepted to a qualifying institution;

  • Agree to maintain enrollment of a minimum of three (3) academic units per semester, or the equivalent, at a qualifying institution;

  • Agree to maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA); and

  • Be a resident of California for at least one year.

More information and the application for the CNGEAAP program can be obtained at