AB 540 exempts students from paying nonresident tuition at the California State University and California Community Colleges when a student is other than a nonimmigrant alien and:


  1. Attended high school in California for three or more years.
  2. Graduated from a California high school or attained equivalent such as High School Equivalency Certificate issued by the CA State GED office or Certificate of Proficiency, resulting from the California High School Proficiency Examination.
  3. Registration as an entering student or current enrollment at an accredited institution of higher education in CA.
  4. In the case of a person without lawful immigration status, the filing of an affidavit with the institution of higher education stating that the student has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

Completing an AB540 Affidavit

Staff at our Admissions & Records office, located in Building 10 (Administration and Student Services), can provide you with the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request (affidavit). If you come in person to the Admissions Office please bring your unofficial high school transcripts with you. You may request your unofficial transcripts in your high school’s counseling office.
Special Note:
If you are applying early and have not yet graduated you MUST submit a letter, on official letterhead, from your high school counselor or your principal, verifying that you are set to graduate, along with the completed AB540 form. Once your graduation status is posted, a new transcript or diploma must be submitted to Admissions & Records.