Questions & Answers


Expand All | Collapse All

How do I apply for student financial aid?


To apply for Federal Financial Aid, you need to:

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);

  2. File your FAFSA online. Before you complete your FAFSA on the Web, we recommend completing the online worksheet and the Financial Aid Office staff can check it for accuracy and completeness. Incomplete or inconsistent information will delay processing so completing the worksheet beforehand will ensure you have gathered all the appropriate documents you might need to complete the FAFSA, such as prior year tax forms or W-2's.

  3. Complete all the required paperwork and submit to the Financial Aid Office.

  4. If you have attended any colleges other than Grossmont, request an Official Academic Transcripts from all colleges previously attended and have them sent to the Grossmont College Admissions and Records Office. If the transcripts are issued to you personally, they must be sealed as "Official Transcripts." Submit them in the original SEALED envelope to the Admissions and Records Office.
    You need to reapply for financial aid every school year. The best time to apply is January 1st through March 2nd.



I lost my income tax papers. How can I get a copy of my tax return transcripts? 


A FREE transcript of your income tax records for past years (Letter 1722) can be obtained from the local IRS office, if you:

  • Visit "Order a Return or Account Transcript"
  • Call 1 - (800) 829-1040

  • Send a written request to:

    Internal Revenue Service
    Attention: Taxpayer Service
    880 Front Street, Room 1295
    San Diego, CA 92101-8869


What is the Title IV School Code for Grossmont College?


Here are Title IV school codes for some local colleges:


  • Grossmont College - 001208
  • Cuyamaca College - 014435 

IMPORTANT: Each college you list on your FAFSA, you must specify your housing plans by marking an appropriate answer (either "off-campus" or "with parents" for attendance at Grossmont College).


This information will affect your eligibility and the amount of your award.



I have a job and live away from my parents. Am I considered independent?


Being on your own does NOT make you independent for financial aid purposes.


To be considered independent, you have to meet AT LEAST ONE of the following requirements:

  • be at least 24 years old as of January 1, 1991 for the 2014-2015 school year;
  • be legally married;
  • be a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces or be currently serving on Active Duty;
  • be an orphan (both parents dead) or a ward of court (at any time since the age of 13);
  • be in a homeless status at any time on or after July 1, 2013
  • be in a legal guardianship until the age of 18 or be an emancipated minor as determined by a court;
  • have legal dependents other than a spouse;
  • be a postgraduate student (beyond a bachelor’s degree)

Under some extreme circumstances (unknown whereabouts of both parents, abusive situation, etc.) you may apply for a dependency override. Documentation of your situation will be required.




Where do I call to find out if my FAFSA was received and processed?


Call (800) 433-3243 to:


  • find out if your FAFSA has been processed;
  • find out if corrections have been processed;
  • order a copy of your Student Aid Report;
  • add a new college to your Student Aid Report.

For general information on Federal Student Aid programs, call (800) 433–3243.



I want to work on campus. How can I apply for the work study program?


To apply for the work study program, you must:

  • complete the FAFSA and turn in all the required documents as early as possible.

There is NO separate application for the work study program.


You can find more information about the work study program in the Student Guide to Financial Aid.

If you are not awarded Federal or State work study, there are two more ways to find a job on campus:


  • Job Placement Center
  • CalWORKs Program (if you are currently receiving TANF (formerly known as AFDC)


I am currently divorced (separated) from my spouse. Our last income taxes were filed jointly. Should I still report my spouse's income on my FAFSA?


No. If you are currently separated or divorced, you can subtract your (ex-) spouse's part of the income from the "Adjusted Gross Income" and answer "0" to "Income Earned by Your Spouse." You should also exclude your (ex-) spouse from the number of people in your household.


I am a single parent. Is there any additional assistance available for me?


Yes. If you are a single parent with at least one child under age 13, you may qualify for additional assistance from the following State-funded programs:


  • CARE (Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education) - for full-time students currently receiving TANF (formerly known as AFDC); and/or
  • New Horizons - for students enrolled at least half-time (6 or more units) in a vocational major.

    For both of these programs, you must be a California resident and have completed less than 70 college units. To apply, contact the EOPS Office.


How do I transfer my financial aid from one college to another?


To add another college to your FAFSA application, you should:


  • Call the Federal Processing Center at (800) 433–3243.
  • Contact the financial aid office of the college you are transferring to, and submit all the necessary paperwork.
  • Cancel any outstanding financial award at your previous school (for any given semester, a student may be awarded from only one college.)



I have a defaulted student loan. What should I do to fix this problem?


You need to call (800) 367-1589 to arrange repayment. After you have made satisfactory repayment arrangements, you may regain eligibility for Federal Financial Aid. Satisfactory repayment arrangements may include:


  • repaying the loan in full;
  • making three (3) consecutive, on-time monthly payments and then applying for loan consolidation; or
  • making six (6) consecutive, on-time monthly payments.
  • You also may be able to receive a deferment on your loans. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office or check the Student Guide to Financial Aid for further information.



Where should I call to ask questions about my Cal Grant?


You can call the California Student Aid Commission at (888) 224–7268.


Written requests can be sent to:
P.O. Box 419026
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9026

Fax (916) 464-8002


For more information, you can also visit their website at