Graduates of the Cardiovascular Technology Program at Grossmont College are actively
recruited by hospitals and clinics in the San Diego area and throughout the country.
The CVT Program at Grossmont College has graduated well over 2000 technologists since
1972. Most of those graduates are practicing their clinical skills in Cardiac Catheterization,
Echocardiography or Vascular Technology labs throughout the nation. Clinical practice
requires a commitment to continuing education, constantly learning new techniques
and instrumentation as the field evolves. Job availability, salaries and benefits
are excellent. Of course the bottom line is the fact that a technologist uses their
clinical skills to help people feel better and live longer.
For some on-line sources for job listings, refer to: "Job Listings" on the menu.
- Cardiac Catheterization Lab
- Adult Echocardiographer
- Vascular Technologist
- Related Department Lead, Supervisor, Manager, or Director (with advanced Degree)
- Equipment, Pharmaceutical and Supplies Sales
- Customer Service Specialist
- Research and Development
The career ladder for a Cardiovascular Technologist includes the following:
- Education - Be a teacher!
- Research - Since CVT is one of the "HI TECH" areas of medicine, there are many opportunities
to participate in clinical research. Some of our graduates have returned to school
following a period of clinical experience. They take courses in math, computer science,
statistics, etc., in order to prepare to work in research.
- Administrative/Management Positions - Most large cardiology departments have a non-physician
manager to manage the administrative aspects of the service. Most require continuing
education in these areas.
- Applications Specialist - Working for companies that manufacture the equipment we
use in clinical practice. Examples include companies like Hewlett Packard, Accuson
and Toshiba who hire Application Specialists to demonstrate their machines to prospective
customers and to train local staff following a purchase.
- Medical Equipment Sales - (May be combined with Applications as described above) Probably
the most lucrative of all of the areas. The equipment we use in clinical practice
is VERY expensive.
- There are many varied career opportunities associated with Cardiovascular Technology.
Health Professions Preview Meeting