Faculty and Staff Resources
The focus of the Success Coach Program is student retention and early intervention.
Our goal is to identify students facing obstacles, with the help of faculty and staff.
College can be a challenging time for students and it is not always easy for them
to find the help they need. We provide them with a network of support and help them
navigate the many resources available on- and off-campus before they consider dropping
out or get too far behind in their coursework.
Expand All | Collapse All
When to Reach Out to a Success Coach
- There is a concern about a student’s ability to adjust to the college environment.
- There is uncertainty of where to send a student to get help for a concern.
- A student is demonstrating excessive tardiness/absences, poor classroom performance,
or shows lack of preparation for a course.
- A student expresses personal troubles impacting learning (work, family, finances,
- A student could benefit from additional support and resources.
**Please note that Success Coaches are not available for immediate crises. If you
are working with a student experiencing a mental health crisis, please contact a Mental
Health Counselor in Student Health Services at 619-644-7192 or email Matthew Ring. If you are working with someone experiencing a life-threatening emergency, please
call the Police by dialing 911. For the non-emergency campus line, dial 619-644-7800.
Actions a Success Coach May Take
- As needed, call upon or connect a student with other campus entities such as Counseling,
Financial Aid, Mental Health Services, Tutoring, Accessibility Resource Center, Gizmo’s
Kitchen, and many others.
- Assist a student with navigating and accessing the most appropriate campus and community
support services to address the presenting concern.
- Aid the student’s understanding of best practices in terms of organizational and time
- Follow-up with students to reinforce utilization of services provided.
How to Connect Students to a Success Coach
- Refer a student directly to a Success Coach by sending us an email or texting us at (619) 738-3380.
- Invite us to give a brief Zoom presentation to your class or share our brief 1-minute Success Coach video introduction with them.
- Include a link to our website in your course Canvas shell.
- Add the Success Coach statement below to your course syllabus. This statement can be copied
and pasted into your syllabus or modified, as needed.
- Syllabus Statement:
If you have concerns that are making it difficult to do well in your courses, you
are encouraged to reach out to the Grossmont College Success Coaches. A Success Coach
will brainstorm options with you and connect you with resources to help overcome obstacles
standing in your way. Visit www.grossmont.edu/successcoach for more information on how to make an appointment to meet with a Success Coach, send
them an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or text them at (619) 738-3380.