Grossmont Collegeskip navigation
Apply & Enroll Departments Help for Students Find People Online Services Campus Information Student Activities

International Students




Travel Tips for New Students Entering the U.S.

Hand carry (do not check) the following documents:

1.  Your passport

2.  If you are a new student coming in to the U.S. for the first time, remember to carry with you the sealed envelope given to you by the U.S. Department of State’s Consular Officer—attached to your passport.  It is important that you do not open this envelope.

3.  Your SEVIS Form I-20

4.  Copy of proof of financial resources

5.  Grossmont College acceptance letter 

6.  Paper receipt for the SEVIS I-901 fee

7.   Your money and other valuables

Important Note about the I-94 Card:  You will receive a white form called the I-94 card ("Arrival/Departure Record") when you travel to the United States.  (If someone gives you a “green” form, politely return it and ask for a “white” form.)

You must complete the card carefully and return it to Customs as you enter the U.S. 
1.  Use all CAPITAL letters and write your name exactly as it is printed in your passport.  2.  Write your birth date in day/month/year (dd/mm/yr) format.  (This will be different from the birth date on your I-20 which is typed in the month/day/year format.)

The Customs inspector will  remove the bottom of the card, stamp and write "D/S" (Duration of Status) on it, and staple it into your passport.  Keep this card in your passport!  If you lose the I-94 card, it costs $300 or more to replace it! 



  Send feedback on this site to the web team