Grossmont Collegeskip navigation
Apply & Enroll Departments Help for Students Find People Online Services Campus Information Student Activities

International Students





The following information may help you in locating housing, but we cannot make housing arrangements for you.  Locating accommodations is your responsibility.


  • Our college does not provide housing.  The majority of students at our school live in apartments, either alone or with roommates.  Rental rates can vary widely, depending on the type and location of the apartment.  Shared apartments range from $400 to $600 per person per month, not including utilities or meals.
  • Grossmont College International Student Counseling maintains a "Housing Email List" for international students seeking apartments and/or roommates.  Students who either have available rooms or are seeking a room or roommate e-mail an advertisement which includes their name, telephone number, e-mail address, preferred move-in date, preferred price range and any other relevant information (such as whether you prefer to be located near a bus line).  To receive or place advertisements, send an email to  Ads are sent out only once.  Students must resend their ad to Barbara for each week they wish to advertise.  If you would like to receive these housing ads prior to orientation, please request to be added onto the "Housing Email List."
  • The Associated Students Office at Grossmont College has a housing referral list of students and local families sharing apartments and homes.  Their number is (619) 644-7604.  Although it is preferred that students come into the office to look through the list, someone is usually available to assist those students who call.  You may also view some housing listings on the ASGC web site; go to and click onto "Housing Listings."
  • Grossmont College does not have a homestay program, but many students may choose to obtain a homestay through agencies like the ones listed below.  Homestays through each of these agencies cost approximately $650-665 per month and include a private room and two or three meals per day.  Other agency charges may include a $250 placement fee, a $100 refundable deposit, and a $50 - $75 airport pick-up fee (optional).

Homestay Services International

P. O. Box 402

Spring Valley, CA  91976  USA

TEL:  (619) 461-4764

FAX:  (619) 670-3397


Web site:



Home Placement Services, Inc.

P. O. Box 181002

Coronado, CA  92178-1002  USA

TEL:  (619) 423-1449

FAX:  (619) 423-1480


Web site:



OvECS Ltd.

625 N. Gilbert Rd., Suite 202

Gilbert, AZ  85234  USA

TEL: (480) 633-8191

FAX: (480) 633-8193


Web site:


  • Some local homeowners contact International Student Programs directly to advertise a room for rent in their home.  In some cases, meals may be included in the monthly charge.  (Prices vary from $400 - $500 without meals or $550 - $675 with 2-3 meals per day included).  Information on these housing options is kept in the International Student Counseling Center and may also be e-mailed to students who request to be added onto the "Housing Email List" on a weekly or bi-monthly basis.  To view this information, please contact Barbara Clark at


  • University Towers Dormitory near SDSU: Across the street from San Diego State University is the UT dorms which have recently opened rooms on a few floors to community college students. Dorm rooms are shared between two people, and two rooms (four people) share one bathroom in a suite. There is a dining room downstairs where students can have their meals, and the bus/trolley station is about one block away. To live in the UT dorm, you must apply and sign a 9-month agreement. IMPORTANT: For the 2008-2009 academic year, UT dorm move-in is Aug 24, 2008 (the day before fall classes begin at Grossmont), and move-out is May 21, 2009 (10 days prior to the end of the Grossmont College semester). The UT dorm is closed during summer break, and open during the shorter winter and spring breaks. Cost for room and board is approximately $10,000 for the 9-month academic year. Go to for more info and to apply.


  • Ask your friends if they know about an available living situation.  Your classmates can be great resources.



  • To get an idea of available apartments, students can do a web search.  You can do a search simply by typing "apartments" in your internet search engine, or you can visit one of the following web sites.  To find an apartment in the immediate area of Grossmont College, type "El Cajon" or "La Mesa" under city name.


A few web sites to visit for rental lists:

(Free bi-weekly and monthly printed editions of Apartment Guide and Apartments For Rent are available in magazine racks at local supermarkets and shopping centers.)

  Send feedback on this site to the web team