Grossmont Collegeskip navigation
Apply & Enroll Departments Help for Students Find People Online Services Campus Information Student Activities

Respiratory Therapy Program


Frequently Asked Questions

What is the length of the Respiratory Therapy Program?
Two years following acceptance into the program after completion of the prerequisite courses.

What are the prerequisite courses?

  • High School graduation or equivalent.
  • Chemistry 115 or equivalent (4 units). One year of High School Chemistry serves as equivalent.
  • Biology 144 & 145 or Biology 140 & 141 or equivalent (8 units)
  • These courses take about 1 year to complete
  • Effective Fall 2015 (Tentative) Bio 152 (Microbiology) must be taken as prerequisite before you apply to the Respiratory Therapy Program.
  • A grade of "C" or better is required in all prerequisite courses.

At time of application; please provide proof of the following immunizations as the Hepatitis series (including seropositivity) takes up to 9 months or more to complete: Measles/Mumps/Rubella (MMR ) or test for seropositivity, Hepatitis B and test for seropositivity, Varicella (Chickenpox) or test for seropositivity and within the past 5 years-Tetanus/Diphtheria/Acellular Pertussis (TDAP). PLEASE MAKE ONLY ONE SIDED COPIES OF DOCUMENTATION. WE WILL NOT ACCEPT BACK TO BACK DUPLICATION.

Can prerequisites be completed at a school other than Grossmont College?
Prerequisites may be taken at any WASC accredited college. Please consult a Grossmont College counselor, or see the Equivalency section of our Web Page for information on equivalent courses at other schools.

When may I apply for admission to the Respiratory Therapy  Program?
The Respiratory Therapy Program has an open application policy.  The application is available to download and print from the RT website.  Submit the application with supporting documentation to the RT office.  Follow the application procedures outlined on the website.

Is the Respiratory Therapy Program a day or evening program?
The Respiratory Therapy Program is held only during the day, Monday through Saturday.  (Occasional Saturday clinicals)

I have a degree from another country. Will those credits be applied toward prerequisite courses at
Grossmont College?
Prospective students who completed their education in another country must have their transcripts evaluated by a credential evaluation service. Applications and information for these services are available in the Admissions and Records office. Make an appointment with the Program Coordinator to discuss this question. Bring transcripts (English translation) for evaluation.

Are there many jobs available?
The current job market in San Diego is limited, but improving. There are jobs nationally and internationally for graduates willing to relocate.

What are the current salary levels?
The salary range varies for a newly graduated therapist, however, the starting range is typically  $25.00 to $30.00+ an hour depending on the facility.

Is there a waiting list?
Yes, as of right now there is a one year wait list. Students are accepted on first come, first served basis - as long as prerequisites are successfully completed.  Approximately 45 students are accepted each year. 

What are the hours of the classes?
The class hours are listed in the class schedule. The class schedule can be obtained from the Grossmont College Bookstore.  Class times and days vary each semester.

Are the graduates required to pass a state licensing exam?
Yes! The graduate takes the licensing exam after completing an AS degree in Respiratory Therapy.   This test is a state licensing examination. Once the graduate passes this test, the graduate then becomes a Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP). After this test is completed, the RCP will take the Registry examination. The Registry examination allows the practitioner to become a Registered Respiratory Therapist. 

An Associate in Science Degree in Respiratory Therapy is required. The Respiratory Therapy Program has a special "G.E." package.  To find out what the G.E. requirements are, you will need to contact the counseling department or refer to the college catalog.

Are the Respiratory Therapy  courses transferable to another college/university?
Yes, our courses are transferable to a four year college, however, you should check with the college or university that you are interested in transferring to for course acceptance.

I am not a student at Grossmont College and I have questions regarding my general education courses, who can I talk to?

  • you can seek assistance from your counselor at your current college regarding transfer of courses to Grossmont College.
  • You can utilize the Grossmont College Catalog as a resource.
  • You can utilize the "Ask A Counselor" option on the Grossmont College webpage under "Current Students".
  • You can call the phone counselor by calling (619) 644-7208, press 7. A counselor will answer short questions during designated hours throughout the day. (No transcripts will be pulled.)
  • You can attend the Transfer In Workshop by calling counseling at 619-644-7208.


What is the approximate cost of the program?

Resident Tuition $46.00  per unit
Books, Clinical Attire, Malpractice Insurance, Etc. $2,000
Nonresident Tuition  -  above fees plus $190 per unit cost + $2,000
International Student - above fees plus $190 per unit cost + $2,000


Respiratory Therapy Logo

Grossmont College
8800 Grossmont College Drive
El Cajon, CA 92020

Counseling Office

Admissions & Records Office

Respiratory Therapy
(619) 644-7448

Respiratory Therapy

Health Professions Home Page

Some of the documents on this page are in Adobe PDF format. You will need the Acrobat Reader to view these files. You may download the free
reader here.


  Send feedback on this site to the web team