Terms to learn:
thermal gradient methane hydrates
A. Types of Marine Resources - renewable and non-renewable
b. Sand and Gravel
c. Evaporative salts
d. Fresh water
e. Methane hydrates
a. Waves, currents, and tides
b. Thermal gradient
Fun places to visit:
Fact sheet on methane hydrates: http://marine.usgs.gov/fact-sheets/gas-hydrates/title.html
Overfishing facts: http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_PLANET/HTML/peril_overfishing.html
Seastore (products): http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_PLANET/HTML/ocean_planet_sea_store_fish.html
When you are finished with this topic, you should be able to answer these questions:
1. What is the difference between renewable and nonrenewable resources?
2. How are oil and natural gas formed?
3. What are the potential problems with the use of methane hydrates?
4. What are some of the products we get from the ocean?
5. What types of alternative energy sources can the ocean offer?