Grossmont Collegeskip navigation
Apply & Enroll Departments Help for Students Find People Online Services Campus Information Student Activities


Ability to Benefit Test

Ability to Benefit (ATB)

Students enrolling for the first time after July 1, 2012 must have a High School Diploma, GED or state recognized equivalent to be eligible for federal financial aid. New students will no longer have the option to pass an Ability to Benefit (ATB) test or to successfully complete 6 degree applicable units to gain eligibility for federal financial aid. A student who does not possess a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent, but who was enrolled in an eligible program any time prior to July 1, 2012, may be eligible to receive federal student aid under the prior ATB provision. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you think you were enrolled in an approved post-secondary educational program prior to July 1, 2012 and need to satisfy an ATB requirement. Please be advised that Grossmont and Cuyamaca Colleges WILL NOT accept ATB examination scores from other colleges.

How can a student obtain a GED or State recognized equivalent?

Take the GED examination or the California High School Proficiency (CHSPE). If you are interested in either exam, you may contact:

               GED                                                 CHSPE
Foothills Adult Education                     CHSPE Office
1550 Melody Lane                                Sacramento County Office of ED
                  El Cajon, CA  92019                              P.O. Box 269003
                  (619) 401-4126                                    Sacramento, CA  95826-9003
                  website                                                (866) 342-4773


Last Revised 03/28/2014